Heartwood Agile Learning Center is an independent micro school for students age 5 to 18 that combines self-directed learning, project management tools, intentional culture creation, and a mixed-age environment.
Heartwood ALC was founded upon the following principles:
- Children are people
- Learning is natural and cannot be measured
- Education is most precious when the learner is inspired and interested
- A mixed-aged community promotes learning that is beneficial to all
- A community seeking and embracing diversity facilitates a more holistic education
- People learn from culture
- Personal development is encouraged through cycles of intention, creation, reflection and sharing
Our mission is to artfully enable students to pursue their curiosities and develop meaningful connections between one another, the facilitators, and the community. We aim to create a space where students become leaders of their own learning, and where they become caring, contributing citizens who can succeed in an ever-changing world. We are committed to focusing on being agile and to creating a community of respect and responsibility.
To provide and support self-directed education that plays an active role in the liberation and empowerment of historically disenfranchised and marginalized students.
A community where parents and Facilitators partner together to help young people define their life mission and role in their community.
Employment Opportunity: Agile Learning Facilitator
We are looking for an experienced and/or aspiring educator who wants to engage with young people in a way that is authentic and purposeful. Applicants should be attuned to children and teens in a way that inspires and encourages fun learning experiences. Heartwood ALC Facilitators are expected to model what it means to be a lifelong learner. They are simultaneously educators, students, artists, scientists, explorers, counselors, entrepreneurs, tacticians, philosophers, leaders, and service workers.
Position Title: Facilitator
Starting Pay: $10/hour, with opportunity for more
Hours Available: approx. 35 hours/week for remainder of school year. Opportunity for additional hours, PTO, holiday pay and summer camp
- Support rhythms set by Lead Facilitators
- Run morning and afternoon meetings
- Mind daily/weekly schedules for students and school
- Be attuned to what students are playing, interested in, and working on
- Offer activities to extend on and further support student interests, play, and work
- Offer activities based on own interests, talents, and experiences
- Engage and play with students
- Intentionally take part in co-creating the school's culture
- Attend staff, family, and community meetings
- Attend promotional and community-building events
- Be an informed spokesperson for the school and self-directed education at community events and information sessions
- Communicate effectively with co-facilitators, students, and parents, as needed
- Commit to engaging in crucial conversations, as needed
- Commit to a self-directed process of personal development as a facilitator
- Become more familiar with the ALC model of education and ALC network through resources from our partners and support programs
- Alignment with the principles and mission of the Heartwood ALC and the ALC Model
- Understanding of progressive and alternative models of education: Montessori, unschooling, play based learning, etc.
- Experience working with children & teens
- Ability to keep track of several students of varying ages and developmental stages
- Ability to manage large group of students
- Passionate about own skills, hobbies, and interests and willing to share with students in authentic and non-coercive ways
- Experience in leadership roles
- Experience working collaboratively as part of a team
- Strong conflict resolution skills
- Strong communication skills
- High emotional intelligence
- High cultural competency
- Proactive and solution oriented
- Reliable and consistent
- Flexible and adaptive